Featured Partner Post
You do not necessarily have to hire professionals to redecorate and improve your home. There are lots of easy DIY home projects that you can take on that will allow you to improve your home, which can also be good fun and highly rewarding.
Up until a few years ago, I had never picked up a drill or wallpaper paste brush. Power tools, like band saws, scared me and the idea of hanging wallpaper felt extremely daunting.
However, you will never know how easy DIY around the house is unless you try!
DIY around the house is a great option for homeowners because you can make big savings compared to hiring professionals.
Additionally, projects can also be good fun and you can usually find guides online which makes projects possible even for beginners. I have plenty of DIY guides on this website which I will share with you…
10 Easy DIY home projects
DIY home projects for beginners are important for several reasons and it is always a good idea to try out DIY around the house.
First, they allow homeowners to customize and personalize their living space to their own unique tastes and preferences.
Second, DIY home projects can save money compared to hiring professionals to do the work.
Third, DIY around the house can be a fun and rewarding hobby that can improve one’s creativity and problem-solving skills.
Finally, DIY home projects can increase the value of a home, making it more attractive to potential buyers if the homeowner decides to sell in the future.
There are many DIY home projects for beginners to consider – here are a few of the best:
- Upgrade storage solutions
- Install a hanging pots and mugs rack
- Create a gallery wall
- Paint your front door
- Install vinyl flooring
- Wallpaper a wall
- Upgrade your cabinet handles
- Garden & Landscaping
All of the above can create a home that is unique to you and potentially make your home more sellable if you ever decide to move on. When that time eventually comes, you may want to consider working with eXp Realty, a top real estate company that can help you buy or sell a house in Florida.
One of the quickest, easiest and most affordable ways to transform your home is with paint. Painting the walls also gives you the chance to be creative and there are all kinds of painting options to choose from.
Generally, it is best to opt for light colours as this can make spaces look and feel a lot bigger and brighter by reflecting light. You could also go for accent walls as a way to add some personality and visual interest to rooms.
Painting doesn’t just have to involve your walls either. There are many easy DIY home projects you can do that involve paint and can quickly transform a room –
- Furniture: You can paint your old furniture pieces to give them a new lease of life. For example, a coat of paint can completely transform an old dresser or a wooden chair.
- Cabinets: Kitchen and bathroom cabinets can be painted to update the look of the room without the expense of a full remodel.
- Doors and trims: Painting the doors and trims in your home can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your living space. If you want to go for a cohesive look, paint the doors and skirting boards/trims the same colour and choose a contrasting colour for the walls
- Accessories: Painting home accessories such as picture frames, vases, and lamps can add a pop of colour and a personal touch to your décor. I was given a black matt vase which didn’t really suit my decor. I painted it Lick Greige 02 and now sits happily in my kitchen. It’s amazing what the smallest amount of paint can do!
2. Upgrade Storage Solutions
You could upgrade your storage solutions by building your own. Not only will adding storage improve the design of different rooms of the house, but it can also help you to keep spaces neat and organised.
Clutter is unsightly and could even create stress, so creating storage solutions could even improve your mood at home. Using a Milwaukee drill driver you can install shelving and cabinets to increase vertical storage in your home, which will help you to maximise space. I created maximum storage in our living room by installing IKEA Billy bookcases and making small tweaks to the design to make it look bespoke.
If you don’t fancy something as big as an IKEA hack, putting up shelves above a piece of furniture helps make the most of your space and storage and is a relatively easy DIY home project.
Another option to consider is investing in modern sideboards and buffets in Australia. These stylish furniture pieces not only provide ample storage space but also add a touch of sophistication to your home decor. With a variety of designs and sizes available, you’re sure to find one that suits your style and storage needs.
There are numerous decorative touches that are simple but can make a big difference to your home. Upgrading lighting fixtures allows you to change the style but also the atmosphere in each room, especially if you experiment with layered lighting. This is a quick and easy DIY home project.
What is layered lighting?
It refers to the use of multiple light sources, placed at different heights and angles, to create a well-lit and visually interesting living space. The goal of layered lighting is to create a balance of ambient, task, and accent lighting throughout the room.
Ambient lighting is the base layer of lighting and provides general illumination for the room. This could be in the form of ceiling fixtures or recessed lighting.
Task lighting is used to illuminate specific areas where activities take place, such as reading, cooking, or applying makeup. Examples of task lighting include table lamps, under-cabinet lights, and vanity lights.
Accent lighting is used to draw attention to specific areas or objects in the room, such as artwork, architectural features, or plants. Accent lighting includes track lighting, wall sconces, and picture lights which you see in abundance on Home decor social media accounts.
Decorative wall art, plant life and mirrors can also add visual interest, personality and style to the space with your layered lighting framing your favourite items beautifully. This is an extremely easy DIY home project as you don’t need to pick up a drill!
4. Install Hanging Pots and Mug Rack
A hanging pot rack is a great addition to any kitchen for several reasons. It frees up valuable cabinet and countertop space and keeps your pots and pans within easy reach. This is especially beneficial if you have a small kitchen.
The same can be said with a hanging mug rack, keeping your mugs off the countertops and within easy reach of your kettle! Racks help keep your kitchen organised and clutter-free and can also be a stylish and decorative addition to your kitchen.
There are plenty to choose from that can be fixed to any surface, just make sure the rack and fittings can take the weight.
You can either get racks that fix straight to the wall, hang them from under a shelf (for mugs) or install a ceiling rack for pots. If you are installing on the ceiling, make sure you are fixing the rack into ceiling joists and not just the plasterboard, or you will find the pots will crash onto your head!
5. Create a Gallery Wall
Creating a gallery wall is a fun and creative way to display artwork and photos in your home and I have several in my home. I love curating them and displaying all my favourite pieces of artwork together, including a LEGO Art canvas. This is another easy DIY home project, just don’t overthink it.
What you will need –
- Artwork, Photos, Prints and décor items
- Picture frames
- Hammer and nails, a picture hanging kit or Command hanging strips.
- Measuring tape and level to ensure that your gallery wall is straight.
- Pencil to mark where the art is going.
- Wall anchors if you are hanging heavier.
6. Paint Your Front Door
Painting your front door is a simple and cost-effective way to give your home’s exterior a fresh new look. This is especially true if you want to update your new build home where the majority of properties look the same! If you are looking for ideas for new projects in your home, don’t forget your home exterior.
Choose a paint colour that complements your home’s exterior and will make your door stand out. Here are a few examples of how to choose a colour:
- Cream and white exteriors – Sage or Emerald Green will provide a wonderful contrast. Also, pink and blue pair well for off-white.
- Red brick exteriors – Gloss black will provide a real showstopper entrance! If you don’t fancy black, choose Navy blue which provides a subtle contrast against the red brick or go for a neutral colour like creamy beige.
- Brown brick exteriors – Brown brick is very earthy, so you need to choose a colour that doesn’t blend in. Go for something bold like a dark forest green or pillar box red!
7. Install Vinyl Flooring
I installed my first vinyl flooring recently and I was surprised at how easy it was to do! It was for our pantry, and I used offcuts of vinyl we had for the utility room.
Installing vinyl flooring is a relatively easy and cost-effective way to update your home’s floors and anyone can do it!
- Measure the room.
- Prepare the floor by cleaning and drying, removing any debris.
- Roll the vinyl out 48 hours before laying. This helps to straighten out any creases and adjust the vinyl to room temperature.
- Lay the flooring out in the room before you start cutting to help minimize waste.
- Using a utility knife, cut the vinyl flooring to fit the room, leaving around 2 inches on the edges for adjustments.
- Apply adhesive to the edges of the room and running through the room. I used double-sided adhesive tape specifically for vinyl.
- Lay the flooring. Start at one end of the room and lay the vinyl flooring in place, pressing it firmly into the adhesive. Use a roller to make sure there are no creases and bumps.
- Once the vinyl flooring is in place, trim the edges using a utility knife or a specialised vinyl cutter.
- Either install skirting/baseboards over the edges or use caulking to seal the vinyl. Use a door threshold to secure any entrances.
- Clean the vinyl with a damp mop to remove any debris or adhesive residue.
8. Wallpaper a Wall
With modern wallpaper, installation is relatively easy and straightforward. Many wallpapers are self-adhesive or have peel-and-stick backings, which makes them easy to install, even for novice DIYers.
Most wallpapers are durable and can withstand wear and tear, making them a good long-term investment. They are also resistant to fading and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth, making them a practical option for high-traffic areas.
When it comes to wallpapering, the best advice I can give you is to try and try again! Wallpaper can be removed if it goes wrong and the satisfaction once you get the wallpaper up is worth all the stress. It may seem like a daunting DIY project but you won’t know until you try.
9. Upgrade your Cabinet Handles
Updating your cabinet handles is a budget-friendly and easy DIY home project that can give your kitchen or bathroom a fresh new look. All you need is new cabinet handles, a screwdriver, measuring tape and a pencil!
It’s even easier if you are replacing similar handles. Just remove the old handles with a screwdriver and insert the new handles.
If the new handles require more holes, use a measuring tape to measure out the holes and draw a pencil mark there. Use a drill to create a new hole and then insert the handles, securing them with screws and a screwdriver. New handles really can make all the difference in a room!
10. Garden & Landscaping
Don’t forget about the garden as there are lots of DIY improvements and ideas for new projects to be made here too. You can easily improve your garden by painting the garden fence, planting new flowers, mowing the lawn and adding exterior lighting like solar lights along your pathway.
Using a power washer is extremely easy and can transform your tired patio and decking, making it look brand new. Just add a few container plant pots to add colour to your outdoor space.
Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. These links help to pay the editorial costs of writing a blog. For more information, read my full affiliate disclosure here.
As you can see, there are lots of DIY house ideas that you can make to improve your living space. DIY around the house will help you to make big savings, plus many homeowners find DIY to be fun, creative and highly rewarding.
Hopefully, this post will inspire you to make your own improvements throughout the home and start that easy DIY home project.