Enjoy nature without the bugs with retractable screen doors!! As a huge fan of bi-fold doors, using windows and doors where possible and letting as much light in, one of my biggest bugbears (no pun intended) is how bugs become a huge nuisance in the summer months when all you want to do is throw your doors open wide and letting your home connect with nature.
Retractable Screen Doors
Retractable screen doors are a type of door that can help improve the quality of life for homeowners. Unlike traditional screen doors that are permanently attached to the frame, retractable screen doors are designed to retract when not in use, allowing for unobstructed views and better ventilation.
This makes them a less bulky version of traditional screen doors and a modern update for more contemporary homes.
What is the Difference Between Retractable Screen Doors and Sliding Screen Doors?
Retractable screen doors can be hidden when not in use as they can be installed into your home. This gives you an unobstructed view of the outside so you can enjoy nature all year round.
Sliding screen doors or traditional screen doors are always on view as they are installed on the outside of your home.
What Are the Benefits of Retractable Screen Doors?
Unlike traditional screen doors that are permanently attached to the frame, retractable screen doors are designed to retract when not in use, allowing for unobstructed views and better ventilation.
1. Bug Barrier
Retractable screen doors allow you to enjoy the beauty of your garden and the great outdoors without having to be invaded by bugs and other pests.
They provide a barrier between the inside of your home and the outside world, keeping insects and other pests out of your living space.
2. Help for Allergy Sufferers
Retractable screen doors not only keep bugs out of your home but can also provide a barrier against dust, pollen, and other allergens.
For individuals who suffer from allergies and in particular, hayfever like me, this is an important benefit that can greatly improve our quality of life. They can also help keep the indoor air cleaner by filtering out pollutants that can come from the outdoors, such as exhaust fumes and smog.
3. Energy Efficiency
4. Easy to Use
Traditional sliding screens can be cumbersome and clunky. Retractable screen doors can be opened and closed easily and customized to fit the needs of your home.
They are typically used with a remote control which makes them extremely easy to unroll, just like a pull-down screen door.
You can get sensors installed on retractable screen doors which will automatically retract the doors when there is heavy rain or high winds. This helps protect your screen doors.
6. Unobstructed Views
When not in use, retractable screen doors can be hidden out of sight giving you an unobstructed view of your garden.
Traditional screen doors are always exposed to the elements, so they receive a lot of wear and tear over the years. Retractable screens are either rolled up out of the way or can be installed into the roof or awning of your home.
This means the fabric is protected from UV rays, the weather, and dirt. There is no need to remove and store away the screens in the winter and will require less maintenance.
8. Easily Cleaned
Another benefit of retractable screens for allergy sufferers is that they can be easily cleaned. Traditional screen doors can be difficult to clean, and dirt and debris can become trapped in the mesh.
Retractable screen doors, on the other hand, can be easily removed and cleaned, allowing you to maintain a cleaner and healthier living environment.
9. Provide Shade
Motorized screens can act as retractable sun shades and can offer different levels of SPF protection, making life more comfortable with UV protection and glare reduction.
What Should I Look for When Buying Retractable Screen Doors?
- Quality of screen material – it should be strong enough to withstand wear and tear and keep bugs out! Look for high-quality materials such as fiberglass, which is particularly long-lasting.
- The durability of the hardware – it should be durable and made from materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, or iron. The frames need to be insulated to help them weather bad (and good) erm, weather!
- Size – Measure the opening where you plan to install the retractable screen door to ensure that you get the right size. Some retractable screen doors can be customized to fit different sizes and types of openings.
- Ease of installation – Look for retractable screen doors that are easy to install and come with clear instructions. Some models may require professional installation, while others can be installed by the homeowner.
- Design and style – Retractable screen doors come in a variety of designs and styles to fit different types of homes and decor. Consider the design and style that best matches your home’s aesthetics.
- Warranty and customer service – Look for a retractable screen door that comes with a warranty and good customer service. This will ensure that you can get help if you encounter any issues with the product.
Where Can Retractable Doors Be Installed?
Retractable screens can be installed in a variety of locations in and around your home. Here are some common areas where retractable screens are installed –
- Exterior doors, including front doors, back doors, and sliding doors.
- Retractable screens can be installed on patios and other outdoor living spaces to create a bug-free environment.
- They can be installed on windows to allow for natural ventilation while keeping insects out. They can also help filter out dust, pollen, and other allergens.
- Garages Openings with retractable screens can create an additional bug-free living space, or to create a workspace that is protected from insects.
- They can be installed on porches to create a screened-in area that is protected from bugs. This allows you to enjoy your porch even during bug season.
- Retractable screens can be installed in other areas of your home, such as breezeways, sunrooms, and even in areas like closets and pantries to keep insects out.
The benefits of retractable screen doors are clear. They provide a practical and effective solution for keeping bugs out of your home while allowing you to ventilate and invite fresh air inside.
You can enjoy the natural light, without it becoming too bright or being unable to see because of the strong sun glare. They can be installed in multiple locations and have a longer shelf life than traditional or sliding screen doors as they can be tucked away or rolled up when not in use.
With these benefits, it’s easy to see why retractable screen doors are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners.